The successor to the Bugatti Veyron has finally been revealed and it’s now the fastest and highest-powered production sports car in history – The Bugatti Chiron was announced today and will make its public debut this week at the Geneva International Motor Show.
• Bugatti Chiron starting price is about $2.6 million.
• Release date is September 2016.
• Only 500 examples will be built.
• 1,500 hp the most powerful production sports car ever built.
• Top speed of 261 mph the fastest production sports car ever built.
• It can accelerate from zero to 62 mph in less than 2.5 seconds.
• Its new W-16 engine generates 1,180 ft lbs of torque.
Inspired by the iconic Bugatti Type 57SC Atlantic the carbon-fiber monocoque body minimizes weight while maximizing rigidity.
The ultra-lightweight (but monstrously strong) material is so pervasive in the car’s composition that if the fibers were laid end to end they would traverse the distance between Earth and the moon—nine times.
The Bugatti’s brute force is balanced out with the customizable interior’s coddling ergonomic comfort. The cockpit is distinctively divided by an illuminated C-bar that mirrors a curling wave and sweeps the eye up its dynamic arc.
Fronting the leather-and-carbon-fiber seats is a central console with independent climate control, infotainment system, and gearbox selector—all with individual displays. And safety takes a new step as several of the six airbags are the first to ever deploy from a carbon-fiber housing.
Limited to 500 examples and with one-third of the orders already accounted for, the chimeric Chiron is slated to be launched in September. The starting price will be about $2.6 million.